« Back to all News

How to Grow Goji Berry Plants

Goji berries growing on a plantThe Lycium barbarum variety of Gogi Berry Plants are a perennial in zones 3 to 10, they are actually quite remarkably heat and cold tolerant. Bearing slightly elongated, orange fruit, about the size of a raisin, Goji plants are deciduous, which means they drop their leaves every year, usually after the first frost. You can read about pruning below.

Goji Berry plants are very adaptable, but for the very best results, test your soil, and then adjust the pH to between 6.8 – 8.1. You can add lime to raise the pH if necessary or aluminum sulfate to lower it.

GROW GOJI BERRY PLANTS IN CONTAINERS

Gogi Berry plants can easily be grown in containers on your deck or patio. Goji plant roots like to grow deep, but the plant itself will stop growing once the roots touch the bottom of the container, so they won’t grow as large as the plants grow in the ground. One advantage is that you may very well see goji berries in the first or second season, rather than the third, which is normally the case when they are grown in the ground.

It will take approximately 15 plants to feed one person for one year. Nutrition experts recommend eating 10 to 30 grams per day, which equates to about 1/3 to 1 ounce. One ounce is about the size of a single-serve box of raisins.

Your bare root plants will survive for a while without being planted, but we recommend you plant them as soon as possible. We also suggest that you get them established inside, in a sunny location, before moving them outdoors to a sunny location. Your Goji plant will appreciate some afternoon shade if you live in a very hot climate (temps above 100°F).

• Place the bare root plants in a jar or container with room-temperature water and allow them to soak for about 15-minutes.
  • Prepare your container. We recommend a pot at least as deep as a five-gallon bucket, but it does not have to be wide. Your container or pot should have drainage holes in the bottom (if it doesn’t—make some), so you may also want to provide a drain pan for the container to sit in.
  • Mix about 1/3 sand to 2/3 soil in order to provide the best growing medium and drainage, though any good potting soil will work. In hot, dry areas, we recommend Premier Pro-Mix Ultimate Potting Mix. Fill the container, leaving 2 to 3-inches at the top.
  • Dig a hole in the middle of the container a couple of inches deeper than to the crown of the plant (where the roots meet the stem), pushing loose soil back in until with the roots lightly resting on the soil in the hole, the crown is level with the top of the soil.
  • Push the soil back in, filling around the roots and up to the crown, gently tamping as you go.
  • Water well and push more soil around the plant if necessary, watering again to let the soil settle.
  • You should continue to keep your Goji plant moist, but not overly wet, until you see new growth sprouting, usually in about 2-3 weeks.
  • Apply an inch or two of mulch in order to help with moisture retention (and because it looks nice). If you mulch, you will depend upon touch to check soil moisture, or water into a large reservoir under the planter so it is wicked from the bottom up.

You may see flowers, after which fruit will follow, depending on when you plant. It could be the first season but more than likely it will be the second season. Remember that containerized plants will feel the heat and cold more because their roots are in soil above the ground. Be weather-aware, providing adequate moisture when it is extremely hot and dry, as containerized plants will usually dry out quicker. Provide protection for your plants if the temperatures become really cold.

GROW GOJI BERRY PLANTS IN THE GROUND

You can grow Goji Berry plants in the ground in any relatively sunny location, as long as you have room for expansion. Adult Goji plants can grow up to 8-feet high and wide, though some gardeners prune their Goji plants to keep them within a desired size range. You can even grow Gogi bushes as a hedge or you can train them to a trellis, in which case, they can get as tall as 10-feet.

We recommend you start your Goji plant in a container, though you don’t need a 5-gallon size. In fact, you can buy a 4- to 6-inch peat pot and not even have to worry about taking it out of the pot to transplant it. This will greatly reduce the stress involved with transplanting, further ensuring your Goji plant will thrive. If you are starting it in a container, just follow steps 1 through 7 above, after which point you can transplant your Goji plant into the ground. Goji plants growing in the ground will sometimes start to produce fruit the second season but will not go into full production until the third year.

Unpruned Goji Berry PlantIf you are putting it directly into the ground:

• Choose a sunny site if you live anywhere but in the desert southwest, where you will either want to have shade or be able to put up a shade cloth during the hottest part of the day.
  • Follow step 1 above, and then prepare your soil, testing and amending it if needed.
  • Mature Goji Berry bushes can reach up to 8 feet high and wide unless they’re regularly pruned, so space accordingly. We recommend not closer than 48 inches between plants and 8 feet between rows.
  • Skip to step 4, and continue through step 8 above, applying mulch immediately, rather than waiting, and carefully monitoring soil moisture. It is critical that it not be allowed to dry out until you see new growth start to sprout, usually in about two weeks.

Once the average daytime temperature drops below 50 degrees, your Goji plant will start going into dormancy. It will stay dormant until the springtime temps are up above 50 degrees. If you live in an area that does not get that cold, keeping your plant pruned back to new growth is the key to keeping the berries coming.

PRUNING YOUR GOJI BERRY PLANTS

Pruning is normally done in the winter, but they can also be gently trimmed throughout the season to shape the canopy and to improve berry yield, though pruning incorrectly or over-pruning can reduce your yield dramatically. It is also important to have the right tool for the job. A dull or inadequate pruner can do more damage than good. We recommend one of our WOLF-Garten pruners.

You will not want to prune them heavily the first year. You first need to identify the largest, healthy shoot, which will be the main trunk. Then, gradually remove the lower lateral shoots, with the goal of keeping the trunk clear for the first 15 inches, and then when your Goji plant reaches 24 inches, remove the growing tip to stimulate the growth of additional side branches.

To prune adult plants, just remove the branches above the maximum height you want. You should maintain clearance from the ground up of about 15 inches. You can also identify any ineffective branches. These usually grow very fast, straight and smooth and will not be very productive, so if they aren’t essential to the overall look, they can simply be removed. Goji Berry plants grow similarly to a weeping willow. If allowed to grow un-pruned, you can end up with a mighty wild look.

We hope this has helped you to understand the needs of the Goji berry plant.  Fertilizer is not necessary as excess nitrogen will kill the plants.

We hope this article has helped you understand the needs of the Goji Berry plant. For preparing this amazingly healthy superfood, we have discovered a cookbook, written by Dr. Donald R. Daugs, called, Goji and Wolfberry, Superfood Cook Book for Health, Flavor and FunIt’s filled with illustrations and 93 recipes for everything from breakfast to main dishes and even includes a chapter on appetizers!

We wish you much planting success and good health! Happy Gardening!

177 Responses to “How to Grow Goji Berry Plants”

1. greg says:

I live in Kennesaw ga, I planted one in a pot 1 month ago it came in sleave about 8″ tall with 2 shoots. Now its 30″ tall. Should I let it grow and put a tomato basket around it or let it droop? Should I prune to 1 foot to promote more growth?

2. jstutzman says:

Hello Greg. You do not need to prune it until it reaches the size you want it to be. It will get stronger as it grows. If you dont like it to droop, go ahead and use a cage to prop it up. Good luck with your Goji plant!

3. jan says:

are goji bushes self pollinating or do i need to bet more than one?

4. Karen McGlynn says:

I have a goji berry plant that is already bearing fruit. I have it in a pot outside and I am concerned about what I should do with it in the winter. I usually bring my potted plant inside during the winter. should I do this with the goji berry?

5. jstutzman says:

Karen, congrats on your fruit bearing Goji! Yes, your pot should be placed into an unheated indoors area for the winter. Do not place in anywhere there is heat as it needs a dormant period each year. Good luck. GHS

6. jstutzman says:

Jan, you only need one plant. Good luck with growing your Goji plant. GHS

7. Doug S says:

Hi,I’ve had my plants for three years now, I keep them in pots. They came back fine last summer, however this year they have yet to produce a single new leaf. The plant seems very much alive, it’s quite flexible and when cut the inside of the branch is still green. This time last year they had already grown a few inches. Any idea what’s happening and how to fix this?

8. jstutzman says:

Hello Doug: If a Goji does not get enough water in the fall, and with this being a potted plant, that is the most likely cause of the problem. Goji plants will also become shocked if they have too much fertilizer added. You can try keeping it watered for a few more weeks to see if it pushes any new growth. Good luck. GHS

9. Brigette says:

I live in Clermont GA. My Gogi berry has grown well. However, no flowers. The bugs seem to be eating holes in the leaves. What do you recommend to put on them. Prefer something natural if possible. Thank you

10. jstutzman says:

Brigette: I would start with Diatomaceous Earth. You sprinkle it on the leaves every few days until the insects stop eating. Here is more info: http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/productcart/pc/diatomaceous-earth-food-grade-food-grade-diatomaceous-earth-p39.htm

11. Trish says:

My potted goji is loosing leaves. It was growing well for a while but stopped. It has been rainy here and I have fertilize and tried to correct the ph. I don’t know what to do, water- not water, more fertilizer…help!

12. Christina says:

My goji berries are blooming like crazy but the fruit is not setting and fall off before it forms any suggestions to my problem?

13. Stephanie says:

I purchased a Gogi Berry tree, at a Grocery store(2 weeks ago), it looked sad. It was marked $2.00….so I thought I would try to give it new life. It is still in the 1 gallon container. It looks much happier, and I’m seeing new leaves. The plant is about 2ft. tall, and was very (dead looking). I am wondering if I should keep it in the container, and bring it in for the winter (I live in South Eastern Michigan (winters very cold & lots of snow). I would put it in the basement, should I put it in the sun or in darker area (unfinished basement, no direct heat). OR would it be better if I plant it in the ground? I am NO gardener, but I don’t like to see plants thrown in trash because no one bought it.

14. Lori says:

I bought two goji plants that arrived in May. They are about 6 inches tall and I planted them directly in the ground right after they arrived. We had lots of rain the first few weeks after they were planted and I have kept them moist since then. They have done nothing, they look exactly as they did when I planted them. No new growth. I don’t think they are dead as the leaves on them still have a shade of green to them. I gave them some fertilizer last week, (before I read your article) in hopes to give them a boost of some sort. Still nothing. Ideas?

15. jstutzman says:

Lori: It sounds like you need some replacement plants. If you ordered them from us, give us a call and we will get some new ones sent out. Joe

16. jstutzman says:

Stephanie: Congrats on the purchase! Leave it in the container till about the middle of August. Then go ahead and transplant it into the ground at a spot you want it to be its permanent home. Good luck with your Goji plant. GHS

17. jstutzman says:

Christina: Can you tell us how its planted, how you water and how you fertilize? GHS

18. Kim says:

What are the best places to buy the plants?

19. Rick says:

I bought a 2yr goji stock root, I’ve had it for close to a month now and it still has not sprouted, I’m trying to grow it in a 5 gal container, im using happy frog potting mix with no fertilizer.
    Should I add fertilizer? And when can I expect my goji to wake up?

20. jstutzman says:

Rick, it sounds like it is dead. If you purchased it from us, give us a call and we will resend you another. GHS

21. Blaine says:

I ordered a Goji berry plant from PCH, of all places. I live in NE Ohio. It seems to be growing nicely. It’s mid-August, and it’s blooming flowers. do you know if it will actually produce berries? the plant is in ground at it’s first year.

22. jstutzman says:

Blaine, congrats on your nicely growing Goji! Rather you are able to harvest fruits at this point in the year will be determined by the arrival of frost. If it is a late frost, you still have a good chance to harvest some berries. Good luck.

23. Cindy Thompson says:

My plant is doing great, but the berries taste bitter. Am I picking at the wrong time? Do I need a supplemental fertilizer? Thanks.

24. jstutzman says:

Cindy, bitter tasting berries would be normal. Sounds like you are doing everything okay. GHS

25. Sylvia says:

My plant is doing great – lots of leaves and branches, but no blossoms and therefore no fruit. It has been in my garden for two summers now and was probably 2 years old when I bought it. What am I doing wrong?

26. jstutzman says:

Sylvia: How much sun does it receive? What nutrients have you been feeding it and how often? Have you done a soil test laterly? GHS