« Back to all News

How to Grow Goji Berry Plants

Goji berries growing on a plantThe Lycium barbarum variety of Gogi Berry Plants are a perennial in zones 3 to 10, they are actually quite remarkably heat and cold tolerant. Bearing slightly elongated, red fruit, about the size of a raisin, Goji plants are deciduous, which means they drop their leaves every year, usually after the first frost. You can read about pruning below.

Goji Berry plants are very adaptable, but for the very best results, test your soil, and then adjust the pH to between 6.8 – 8.1. You can add lime to raise the pH if necessary or aluminum sulfate to lower it.

GROW GOJI BERRY PLANTS IN CONTAINERS

Gogi Berry plants can easily be grown in containers on your deck or patio. Goji plant roots like to grow deep, but the plant itself will stop growing once the roots touch the bottom of the container, so they won’t grow as large as the plants grow in the ground. One advantage is that you may very well see goji berries in the first or second season, rather than the third, which is normally the case when they are grown in the ground.

It will take approximately 15 plants to feed one person for one year. Nutrition experts recommend eating 10 to 30 grams per day, which equates to about 1/3 to 1 ounce. One ounce is about the size of a single-serve box of raisins.

Your bare root plants will survive for a while without being planted, but we recommend you plant them as soon as possible. We also suggest that you get them established inside, in a sunny location, before moving them outdoors to a sunny location. Your Goji plant will appreciate some afternoon shade if you live in a very hot climate (temps above 100°F).

• Place the bare root plants in a jar or container with room-temperature water and allow them to soak for about 15-minutes.
  • Prepare your container. We recommend a pot at least as deep as a five-gallon bucket, but it does not have to be wide. Your container or pot should have drainage holes in the bottom (if it doesn’t—make some), so you may also want to provide a drain pan for the container to sit in.
  • Mix about 1/3 sand to 2/3 soil in order to provide the best growing medium and drainage, though any good potting soil will work. In hot, dry areas, we recommend Premier Pro-Mix Ultimate Potting Mix. Fill the container, leaving 2 to 3-inches at the top.
  • Dig a hole in the middle of the container a couple of inches deeper than to the crown of the plant (where the roots meet the stem), pushing loose soil back in until with the roots lightly resting on the soil in the hole, the crown is level with the top of the soil.
  • Push the soil back in, filling around the roots and up to the crown, gently tamping as you go.
  • Water well and push more soil around the plant if necessary, watering again to let the soil settle.
  • You should continue to keep your Goji plant moist, but not overly wet, until you see new growth sprouting, usually in about 2-3 weeks.
  • Apply an inch or two of mulch in order to help with moisture retention (and because it looks nice). If you mulch, you will depend upon touch to check soil moisture, or water into a large reservoir under the planter so it is wicked from the bottom up.

You may see flowers, after which fruit will follow, depending on when you plant. It could be the first season but more than likely it will be the second season. Remember that containerized plants will feel the heat and cold more because their roots are in soil above the ground. Be weather-aware, providing adequate moisture when it is extremely hot and dry, as containerized plants will usually dry out quicker. Provide protection for your plants if the temperatures become really cold.

GROW GOJI BERRY PLANTS IN THE GROUND

You can grow Goji Berry plants in the ground in any relatively sunny location, as long as you have room for expansion. Adult Goji plants can grow up to 8-feet high and wide, though some gardeners prune their Goji plants to keep them within a desired size range. You can even grow Gogi bushes as a hedge or you can train them to a trellis, in which case, they can get as tall as 10-feet.

We recommend you start your Goji plant in a container, though you don’t need a 5-gallon size. In fact, you can buy a 4- to 6-inch peat pot and not even have to worry about taking it out of the pot to transplant it. This will greatly reduce the stress involved with transplanting, further ensuring your Goji plant will thrive. If you are starting it in a container, just follow steps 1 through 7 above, after which point you can transplant your Goji plant into the ground. Goji plants growing in the ground will sometimes start to produce fruit the second season but will not go into full production until the third year.

Unpruned Goji Berry PlantIf you are putting it directly into the ground:

• Choose a sunny site if you live anywhere but in the desert southwest, where you will either want to have shade or be able to put up a shade cloth during the hottest part of the day.
  • Follow step 1 above, and then prepare your soil, testing and amending it if needed.
  • Mature Goji Berry bushes can reach up to 8 feet high and wide unless they’re regularly pruned, so space accordingly. We recommend not closer than 48 inches between plants and 8 feet between rows.
  • Skip to step 4, and continue through step 8 above, applying mulch immediately, rather than waiting, and carefully monitoring soil moisture. It is critical that it not be allowed to dry out until you see new growth start to sprout, usually in about two weeks.

Once the average daytime temperature drops below 50 degrees, your Goji plant will start going into dormancy. It will stay dormant until the springtime temps are up above 50 degrees. If you live in an area that does not get that cold, keeping your plant pruned back to new growth is the key to keeping the berries coming.

PRUNING YOUR GOJI BERRY PLANTS

Pruning is normally done in the winter, but they can also be gently trimmed throughout the season to shape the canopy and to improve berry yield, though pruning incorrectly or over-pruning can reduce your yield dramatically. It is also important to have the right tool for the job. A dull or inadequate pruner can do more damage than good. We recommend one of our WOLF-Garten pruners.

You will not want to prune them heavily the first year. You first need to identify the largest, healthy shoot, which will be the main trunk. Then, gradually remove the lower lateral shoots, with the goal of keeping the trunk clear for the first 15 inches, and then when your Goji plant reaches 24 inches, remove the growing tip to stimulate the growth of additional side branches.

To prune adult plants, just remove the branches above the maximum height you want. You should maintain clearance from the ground up of about 15 inches. You can also identify any ineffective branches. These usually grow very fast, straight and smooth and will not be very productive, so if they aren’t essential to the overall look, they can simply be removed. Goji Berry plants grow similarly to a weeping willow. If allowed to grow un-pruned, you can end up with a mighty wild look.

We hope this has helped you to understand the needs of the Goji berry plant.  Fertilizer is not necessary as excess nitrogen will kill the plants.

We hope this article has helped you understand the needs of the Goji Berry plant. For preparing this amazingly healthy superfood, we have discovered a cookbook, written by Dr. Donald R. Daugs, called, Goji and Wolfberry, Superfood Cook Book for Health, Flavor and FunIt’s filled with illustrations and 93 recipes for everything from breakfast to main dishes and even includes a chapter on appetizers!

We wish you much planting success and good health! Happy Gardening!

186 Responses to “How to Grow Goji Berry Plants”

1. Christopher says:

Hi, I live in southern Ohio. I have a 7 month old goji plant, It is 7 feet tall and has 5 stems or shots whatever you want to call them. In the summer it was very moist here and my plants had gotten some sort of fungus on them and all of the leafs fell of. So I got some anti fungal spray and treeted the plant. Some of the leafs grew back but only on the south side of the plant. Will the rest of the plant ever grow its leafs back? Is it normal for the plant to still be growing and still have leafs on it this time of year? I know it is pretty cold resistant but its been down in the 2o’s and my plant still hasnt lost its leafs.

2. jstutzman says:

Hello Christopher. Yes Goji plants can be very hardy, with winter setting in you should lose the remaining leaves very soon. Sorry to hear about the fungal issue. It should put out new growth next year and grow just fine, as long as the fungal issue is not persistent in your area. At the first sign of it next year, apply some food grade diatomaceous earth. About the height, we would recommend pruning it down to a height you can manage from the ground. Remember, Goji Berries grow on new wood only, so lots of trimming. Good luck with your plant.

3. Mary says:

Has anyone tried growing gogi berriess in Maine? I am on the edge of zones 4-5.

4. jstutzman says:

Mary, our Goji Berry plants are good down to zone 3, so you would have no issues growing them in your area.

5. Janice says:

What pH is recommended for growing goji berry plants ?

6. jstutzman says:

Janice, the pH level of the soil that goji plants thrive in is 6.8

7. Judith says:

I am debating whether to put my new goji plants in the ground or a bucket. I lost 4 that I put in the ground last year and I don’t want to lose these too! If you put them in a bucket, I’m assuming that you need to bring them indoors to a cool spot for the winter (zone 4-5), but want to verify. Will they stay dormant in a basement or garage all winter and then come back in the Spring?

8. jstutzman says:

Judith, do you think you lost them over the winter? It takes consistent days above 45F for them to come out of dormancy.

9. Judith says:

I lost them over the summer. They were overtaken by weeds and got choked out. My bad!

10. jstutzman says:

Judith, starting the new ones in a bucket is a great way to start them. In fact you can leave them in there a couple of years before putting them into the ground. During the winter, it is helpful for your Goji’s if you bring them inside an unheated building. Let me know if you have further questions. Joe

11. Judith says:

Unfortunately, they were overtaken by weeds. They overwintered just fine the year before but didn’t make it through the entire summer. I have two new goji’s and don’t want to kill them. One is from WFF and the other from Garden’s Alive. The interesting thing is that they don’t look at all like each other.

12. greg says:

Can you use routone powder to take cutting. And how do yo do it for best results.
    Thanks Greg

13. jstutzman says:

Greg we are not familiar with that product. Cuttings must be stems old enough to have changed from green to gray in color. Success on cuttings is considered very good at 40%, we do not recommend this method for starting Goji plants. Rooted starts are the preferred method.

14. Greg Garriss says:

Cuttings can be fussy and success can be low.. That said, I saw a Youtube where a guy just shoved branches in the ground and they rooted fine. Annoying…

15. jstutzman says:

Greg, I think we need that fellow to do all of our plantings. Just doesn’t happen that easily. Thanks for the comments. Joe

16. joanna says:

planted 5 years ago grow 6 feet, but never any fruit yet!
    I prune every autumn. problem may be, they keep getting a silvery coverage on leaves and slightly wither, i guess its disease? they are now 20 inches high. Looks like same problem again.

17. jstutzman says:

Joanna: This sounds like powdery mildew, which usually is tied to hot weather, not cold wet. In fact hosing off the leaves may help. The spores for this fungus are found everywhere. There are a lot of fungicides to use for powdery mildew, but Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is very effective and not a human health hazard. DE is applied dry to cover the plants and on the soil around the plants. Also too much nitrogen retards fruiting and a low soil pH may contribute to powdery mildew. Good luck with your Goji Berry plant.

18. Chris says:

I have a healthy plant ready to go into the ground. However, we have thousands of gophers, and every single plant on the property has been put into a gopher basket or it won’t survive. Even full grown fig trees have been taken down. My question: since the Goji has such a long tap root system, how can I protect the roots but allow them to go down as far as they can? I am thinking of making a long tube of gopher basket material, maybe 30 inches long, and hope the gophers don’t go further down than that to eat. Thoughts?

19. jstutzman says:

Good question Chris, and one I am not sure can be satisfied. I think your suggestion would be helpful; however the Goji plant needs more than just its tap root to thrive. So I am not sure that measure alone will be enough. If you give it a try, please let us know how it turns out.
    Joe
    GHS

20. Tanya says:

Last year my aunt gave me a little branch from her goji plant (about 5 inches). I stuck the little twig into the veggie raised bed and now it’s fruiting like crazy! I’m getting thousands of berries. In just one year it grew into quite a big bush. Maybe it’s just luck. I don’t know… But I love eating them fresh right off the vines.

21. jstutzman says:

Tanya, that sounds great! We would love to see a photo. GHS

22. SCOTTY says:

Third or fourth trip back to your site for the Goji growing hints. I would put your tips and information in the top five for growing the Goji. I have 9 plants growing now and- no two -are growing the same, they all seem to have unique qualities. Thanks again for the tips. I’m sure I’ll be back (I can’t remember everything) so please keep your site going! Scotty. I also shared this to my FB site for some other new Goji growers. Thanks again.

23. jstutzman says:

Glad to hear your plants are doing well Scotty! Happy gardening. GHS

24. jessica says:

Hi, I live in Utah and was given several goji bushes last week. They withered as soon as she took them out of the ground. I put them in cool muddy very wet mud until that night and then planted. This week, the leaves are super tiny any shriveled. I have no clue if it will bounce back. I took all leaves off as they were dead. Any suggestions?

25. jstutzman says:

Jessica, goji is fairly hardy. I would keep them in “moist” soil for the next 2-3 weeks. They should push some new leaves soon. Good luck! GHS

26. pat says:

Probably going to be the same answer to my question as the rest of these folks, but I guess I just need some reassuring. I’ve had my plant for 2 years now, we live in southern California and it really grew fast with our weather. It’s about 8 feet tall if you stand them up and really stringy with lightly withered leaves that start about 18 inches up from the pot it’s planted in and doesn’t have many leaves at all. It seriously looks like the Charlie Brown tree of goji. Anyways, what to do? Trim, cut way back and try again, or wait another year? I do still need to test the soil tho. Please help me. Thanks, Pat

27. jstutzman says:

Hello Pat. We would agree, testing your soil is the first step you should take. What size is the container the Goji Berry plant is in, how often do you water it, and do you add any fertilizer (and if so, how often)? GHS

28. pat says:

I water it every day otherwise it looks to dry, fertilizer has been a while and it’s in a 2 foot by 2 foot container.

29. Raik Liind says:

My plants (6) are outside and are 2 to 3 years old. Looking very healthy (maybe too healthy?) I have read to prune them and I have read absolutely do NOT prune. I now have a situation where a lot branches are like tassels and many are on the ground. I guess the obvious thing to do is prune them???? But when? Now, in the middle of summer or do I wait till the end of winter????
    Thanks
    Raik

Location: Estonia, EU.

30. jstutzman says:

Raik: Keep in mind that Goji Berry plants only produce berries on “new wood”, which only happens when when the plant is pruned. The best time to prune them is early in the year before they start pushing berries.

31. Jason says:

Wow. I didn’t realize I had a freaky weird goji berry plant. I put it in the ground this past spring, and it hasn’t grown to be more than maybe 30″ tall, but I’m getting plenty of berries off of it (well, for such a small plant, anyway). I had no clue it was able to get so large. Maybe it’ll grow more next year and I’ll get TONs of berries.

32. mferwerda says:

Are Goji Berries invasive? I live in MI, zone 5, and am overwhelmed with extremely invasive blackberries, raspberries, elderberries, etc. Trying to decide a “safe” place for Gojis. Also, sites differ; are two plants necessary? Thank you for your help!

33. jstutzman says:

Hello mferwerda: Goji Berries do spread. However the runners can be removed to keep it growing in one area. Two plants are not necessary. Good luck! GHS

34. Kate says:

I’m thinking about ordering a couple of two-year starts. It seems like this should be a good time of year to get them established – or do I need to wait for spring? I live in rural Sonoma County. Any thoughts? Originally I had hoped to buy older, mature plants, but the darned things are hard to come by!

35. jstutzman says:

Hello Kate: Now is a fine time to plant Goji Berry plants. Instructions are included. Good luck!

36. Karen Murphy says:

Hi,
    I live in Zone 9B in Gulf Coast central Florida. This May I bought two
    Gogi plants and potted them in big pots, good soil mix including rock dust and bio char. At first they sat and lost some leaves, so I trimmed the long twigs. Over the hot summer they grew more green branches and are producing lots of pretty light purple flowers, but they don’t seem to be setting fruit. I tried hand pollinating them on a few flowers, and they seem to have lots of pollen. Summer and early fall are really hot down here, and I don’t really know how this climate works for a Himalayan plant. I have not checked the ph yet. I really hope this works for me! Any comments. By the way, before I pruned the branches got long and gangly. I want a bushy, full plant so as to get more fruit, so I think the pruning is working. Also, twigs that don’t have foliage are still green when scratched, so don’t give up on them.

37. jstutzman says:

Karen, It sounds like you are doing everything correctly. You do not need to hand pollinate as Goji plants are self pollinating. Fruit follows the flowers so get ready. Good luck with our plant!

38. llee says:

I live in Seattle, WA area. What is the best season to plant Goji plant?

39. jstutzman says:

Hello Llee. Goji Berries can be planted anytime the ground is not frozen. If doing so in the fall, allow 6 weeks before your first frost for planting. They can also be started inside in containers any time of the year.

40. Dave Morin says:

Like the last entry Iam in zone 9B in central Fla I have four bushy large plants that produced hundreds of flowers this summer but not one berry. Could it be too hot, I have them under shade cloth in my nursery.

41. jstutzman says:

Dave, how hard did you prune them after they last produced their berries? Joe

42. Pam tipping says:

Hi
    I live in central Portugal and planted a goji berry close to our de king. I want to move it as we have extended the decking and the steps need to go where the plant is. Can I transplant it without damaging it!
    Thanks for your help

43. jstutzman says:

Hello Pam. Yes you can move the goji plant. Try and digg at least 12 inches away from the plant and about 12 inches deep. Once you get it into the new spot, keep it watered for at least 3 weeks. Good luck. GHS

44. Suzie says:

We purchased small plants from a local nursery in 6″ pots. Transferred them to larger pots and let them grow a year. Quite by accident, a long branch fell over into a bucket of dirt that was near by and appears to have rooted. Will clip it off of the parent plant and see what happens. Thinking about trying this with a blueberry bush.

45. jstutzman says:

Your finding is correct Suzie, they will root if put into the dirt. Enjoy your new Goji plant and good luck with trying this with your blueberry bush! GHS

46. Sarah says:

Last spring I purchased 2 separate varieties of goji berries from a very reputable online nursery that I have purchased all my other berries and trees from. I thought it was strange that they had both peach and lavender blossoms. My berries are not sweet, in fact they taste like hot peppers. What am I doing wrong?

47. jstutzman says:

Sarah, it sure sounds like something got switched on you. Doesn’t sound anything like Goji Berries. GHS

48. Tammy says:

Do they shoot of miny plants like raspberrys or do u have to grow new ones by cutting or seed, near the end of lifespan, to maintain the suppy?

49. jstutzman says:

Tammy, Goji Berries so produce shoots. Cuttings can also be rooted. Good luck with your plants. GHS

50. Karen Murphy says:

Well, I see. That my comment from last year about my gogi berry plants having flowers but no fruit is happening again this year. Lots of flowering, looks like they are supposed to but no fruit. Zone 9B or maybe 10 in gulf coast Florida. I’m frustrated. They are in large containers. Suggestions?

51. jstutzman says:

Karen, about the only way it would be flowering but not setting fruits would be from insects. Although not setting fruits has not been an issue with Goji Berries. Any change you could get us some photos of the different stages, pre-bloom, blooming, and immediately after blooming?

52. AnnaB says:

I live in zone 6B and planted a small goji bush last fall in a big container. All my plants are back now. Only the goji is still dormant (at least I hope so). Is this normal? I checked a little branch and it looks not dead. Is there any hope that my plant will make it?

53. jstutzman says:

AnnaB. Goji plant can take a bit longer to come out of dormancy. If you dont see growth within the next couple of weeks, give us a shout and we will go from there. GHS

54. Sheila says:

We planted a Goji berry (purchased from a local nursery) in our yard about a month ago. The plant is about 2 feet tall and with very thin, droopy branches. It was looking very healthy until a few days ago. Now it’s leaves are yellowing. We have been watering every day as it’s been dry here in Southeastern Ohio. Could it be getting too much water?

55. Michelle says:

I am trying to plan a permaculture garden and am very interested in including goji berries as part of the design. I was wondering if you knew of any plants that partner well with the goji berry to help with it’s success?

56. jstutzman says:

Michelle, Goji plants do not really need any other companion plants to help them grow successfully. They grow like a shrub so space is very important. Good luck with your garden! GHS

57. Sheila says:

Hi we have two Goji’s and have yet to get more than two berries from them. Right now leaves on one are yellow and both are showing powdery mildew. What to do?
    We planted them two years Ago as small bushes

58. jstutzman says:

Sheila, sorry we missed your earlier comment. Are they in full sun? Also they do not like too much water. How much water do you give them when you do the watering? Joe with GHS

59. greg says:

I live in Kennesaw ga, I planted one in a pot 1 month ago it came in sleave about 8″ tall with 2 shoots. Now its 30″ tall. Should I let it grow and put a tomato basket around it or let it droop? Should I prune to 1 foot to promote more growth?

60. jstutzman says:

Hello Greg. You do not need to prune it until it reaches the size you want it to be. It will get stronger as it grows. If you dont like it to droop, go ahead and use a cage to prop it up. Good luck with your Goji plant!

61. jan says:

are goji bushes self pollinating or do i need to bet more than one?

62. jstutzman says:

Jan, you only need one plant. Good luck with growing your Goji plant. GHS

63. Karen McGlynn says:

I have a goji berry plant that is already bearing fruit. I have it in a pot outside and I am concerned about what I should do with it in the winter. I usually bring my potted plant inside during the winter. should I do this with the goji berry?

64. jstutzman says:

Karen, congrats on your fruit bearing Goji! Yes, your pot should be placed into an unheated indoors area for the winter. Do not place in anywhere there is heat as it needs a dormant period each year. Good luck. GHS

65. Doug S says:

Hi,I’ve had my plants for three years now, I keep them in pots. They came back fine last summer, however this year they have yet to produce a single new leaf. The plant seems very much alive, it’s quite flexible and when cut the inside of the branch is still green. This time last year they had already grown a few inches. Any idea what’s happening and how to fix this?

66. jstutzman says:

Hello Doug: If a Goji does not get enough water in the fall, and with this being a potted plant, that is the most likely cause of the problem. Goji plants will also become shocked if they have too much fertilizer added. You can try keeping it watered for a few more weeks to see if it pushes any new growth. Good luck. GHS

67. Brigette says:

I live in Clermont GA. My Gogi berry has grown well. However, no flowers. The bugs seem to be eating holes in the leaves. What do you recommend to put on them. Prefer something natural if possible. Thank you

68. jstutzman says:

Brigette: I would start with Diatomaceous Earth. You sprinkle it on the leaves every few days until the insects stop eating. Here is more info: http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/productcart/pc/diatomaceous-earth-food-grade-food-grade-diatomaceous-earth-p39.htm

69. Trish says:

My potted goji is loosing leaves. It was growing well for a while but stopped. It has been rainy here and I have fertilize and tried to correct the ph. I don’t know what to do, water- not water, more fertilizer…help!

70. Christina says:

My goji berries are blooming like crazy but the fruit is not setting and fall off before it forms any suggestions to my problem?

71. jstutzman says:

Christina: Can you tell us how its planted, how you water and how you fertilize? GHS

72. Stephanie says:

I purchased a Gogi Berry tree, at a Grocery store(2 weeks ago), it looked sad. It was marked $2.00….so I thought I would try to give it new life. It is still in the 1 gallon container. It looks much happier, and I’m seeing new leaves. The plant is about 2ft. tall, and was very (dead looking). I am wondering if I should keep it in the container, and bring it in for the winter (I live in South Eastern Michigan (winters very cold & lots of snow). I would put it in the basement, should I put it in the sun or in darker area (unfinished basement, no direct heat). OR would it be better if I plant it in the ground? I am NO gardener, but I don’t like to see plants thrown in trash because no one bought it.

73. jstutzman says:

Stephanie: Congrats on the purchase! Leave it in the container till about the middle of August. Then go ahead and transplant it into the ground at a spot you want it to be its permanent home. Good luck with your Goji plant. GHS

74. Lori says:

I bought two goji plants that arrived in May. They are about 6 inches tall and I planted them directly in the ground right after they arrived. We had lots of rain the first few weeks after they were planted and I have kept them moist since then. They have done nothing, they look exactly as they did when I planted them. No new growth. I don’t think they are dead as the leaves on them still have a shade of green to them. I gave them some fertilizer last week, (before I read your article) in hopes to give them a boost of some sort. Still nothing. Ideas?

75. jstutzman says:

Lori: It sounds like you need some replacement plants. If you ordered them from us, give us a call and we will get some new ones sent out. Joe

76. Kim says:

What are the best places to buy the plants?

77. Rick says:

I bought a 2yr goji stock root, I’ve had it for close to a month now and it still has not sprouted, I’m trying to grow it in a 5 gal container, im using happy frog potting mix with no fertilizer.
    Should I add fertilizer? And when can I expect my goji to wake up?

78. jstutzman says:

Rick, it sounds like it is dead. If you purchased it from us, give us a call and we will resend you another. GHS

79. Blaine says:

I ordered a Goji berry plant from PCH, of all places. I live in NE Ohio. It seems to be growing nicely. It’s mid-August, and it’s blooming flowers. do you know if it will actually produce berries? the plant is in ground at it’s first year.

80. jstutzman says:

Blaine, congrats on your nicely growing Goji! Rather you are able to harvest fruits at this point in the year will be determined by the arrival of frost. If it is a late frost, you still have a good chance to harvest some berries. Good luck.

81. Cindy Thompson says:

My plant is doing great, but the berries taste bitter. Am I picking at the wrong time? Do I need a supplemental fertilizer? Thanks.

82. jstutzman says:

Cindy, bitter tasting berries would be normal. Sounds like you are doing everything okay. GHS

83. Sylvia says:

My plant is doing great – lots of leaves and branches, but no blossoms and therefore no fruit. It has been in my garden for two summers now and was probably 2 years old when I bought it. What am I doing wrong?

84. jstutzman says:

Sylvia: How much sun does it receive? What nutrients have you been feeding it and how often? Have you done a soil test laterly? GHS

85. Linda says:

I also ordered my goji berry bush from pch. When they arrived I thought they were dead sticks and I almost sent them back, but my daughter urged me to plant them and see what happened. Now I have a very nice plant about 18-20 inches tall. I planted it in a pot because I live in an apartment in Colorado and feared the winter would kill it.
    Its early September and ivam wondering what to do now. Should I move it inside when the evenings/ early mornings get cold? Do I prune it now ? I have read so much about Gojis that my head hurts. I just need simple instructions. Not too technical. I’ve never grown any plant that produces anything edible. Lol I am quite fond of it and would love to see it produce. Thanks

86. jstutzman says:

Linda, congrats on your growing Goji plant! First off, they need to go dormant, so they should not be brought inside. However since it is in a container, the coldness will be harder on it compared to one growing in the ground. Once it losses its leaves and goes dormant, wrapping something loosely around it will help on the harshness. Uncover it in the spring once the night time temps stay above 30F. As far as pruning, follow our advice as listed in this article and you should be good to go. Good luck with growing your Goji Berry palnt! GHS

87. George says:

Hi I have five goji plants in my garden almost two and a half years,I live in southern greece where summer climate is really hot(no rain fall for over four months)due to my absence all summer surprisingly coming home on the tenth of September I notice that my plants had survived the summer heat without any drop of water and they were full of berries ready for picking.My question is how could I grow more of these particular plants? If I cut branches and leave in a water vase will they grow any roots,when is the best season to take such of action,is there any other formulas that you can suggest me in order for me to multiply my heroic plants.

88. sergiu says:

i have a goji planted in april, it grow a lot during the summer and in september i have some flowers, will it be ready to pick until mid october?

89. jstutzman says:

Sergiu, congrats on your flowering goji plant! Can you tell us what hardiness zone you are growing in?

90. Savannah says:

Hi! I live in ga, and bought a small gogi plant back in jan and potted the plant. It has slowly lost leaves since and I then decided to plant it in the ground last week with only 4 or 5 leaves left. It was watered, gave it some compost occasionaly, and in full sun. The only thing Im ready that I could have done was bumped up my pH some. It seems like it’s struggling/dying. Any suggestions?

91. jstutzman says:

Savannah, can you tell us how big the container was and how often you watered it? GHS

92. steve bennett says:

How do you tell if you need to fertilize your goji berry? how much to fertilize, what kind, when to fertilize, etc

93. jstutzman says:

Steve, Goji Berry plants do not like much fertilizer. It is best to test the soil before adding any amendments. Good luck. GHS