« Back to all News

Diatomaceous Earth, How Do We Love Thee?

We’re letting YOU count the ways. Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is one of our favorite products at GHS, and we’d like for the entire world to know about this natural wonder. If you’ve already had success using our Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth, we hope you’ll add your comments to this blog and tell others of your experiences.

If you haven’t tried it, feel free to write with questions or comments.

Diatomaceous Earth is an all-natural fossilized rock, and when it’s ground into a fine powder, it kills insects by physically destroying them, rather than chemically. Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is a mild abrasive used in human facial scrubs, metal polishes, and toothpaste. But our product is most commonly used as a safe, effective insecticide: pests dehydrate and die after coming in contact with it. It works against slugs and grubs without adding dangerous, toxic chemicals to your environment.

Tell us and others why you love Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth!

76 Responses to “Diatomaceous Earth, How Do We Love Thee?”

1. Rick Watson says:

I use the Diatomaceous Earth as a insecticide especially around pet feeders! I prefer to use this all natural material anywhere because it works, but especially around areas that my pets roam. It is 100% effecive against all bugs!

2. Marisa Baumann says:

After having a problem in my basement with earwigs, rollie pollies, and spiders, I wanted to use something that was effective yet safe for my family. After doing some research I came across an article for diatomaceous earth. Its edible for both human and animals, so I had no problem using it around my family. It worked very effectivly as well. I sprinkled a little powder where I was having the problem and within a week my pests were gone. I also put some at all the entrance ways and windows around m house. Since then, its worked great. and a little goes a long way.

Thanks for carrying it!!

Marisa

3. Nancy L. says:

One of my favorite things about the diatomaceous earth is that it works on fire ants as well as those poison granules that are often used, but I don’t like to use poison around the garden.

4. Martin Lucas says:

DE is great! I use it externally on my pets for fleas and put it little on their food to help with internal parasites. It is also a great detoxifier so adding it to the food helps to keep them health as well.

5. Melissa Schultz says:

I bought Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth for deworming my cats. It’s much gentler than the deworming drugs from the vet, yet I’ve found it to be just as effective. I keep a small jar of it on hand for the cats and the rest can be used in the garden. It’s very versatile and economical.

6. Matthew says:

Hello everyone, I originally purchased DE as an insecticide free way of controlling fleas and ticks. I have a cat and two dogs and we lived on about 8 acres of woodland. We had a flea infestation at the start of summer and wanted an alternative to topical poisons and the ubiquitous flea collars. DE did the trick. Within a couple weeks of dusting the corners inside the house, dusting the animals and then doing the perimeter of the house outside the flea problem had abated. As well, we never had a problem with ticks. We’ve since moved to an area without the woods as a backyard but we continue to use the DE. I’ve used it to get rid of ant colonies in the driveway and we still use it in and around the house as a protective measure. I think we got a 5lb bag and it has lasted us well over a year. So, if you are looking for a poison-free way to control pests then pick up a bag. You won’t be disappointed.

7. Dave Moga says:

I have been using DE for about a year now to help counteract cecal worms in my poultry. There has been some discussion as to the effectiveness of it however, it is working well for me and my chickens, turkeys and ducks. I mix about one pound into a 50lb bag of feed. Also when I had mites last winter on some of my silkie chickens I dusted them with it and have not had a mite problem since. Of course one has to be careful not to breath it in that is just common sense. I will be ordering more soon

8. Rosemary Collins says:

Food Grade DE has solved my ant problem. I couldn’t determine how they were getting into the house, so I put a 3″ stripe all around the house on the ground. I haven’t had ants for over a year now! A little goes a long way, too. This summer I used it to get ants out of my paver driveway & patio. Next I’m going ant-proof my mother’s house. Reading the comments posted has given me info in case my cats ever get fleas. This product is a great, green find!

9. Mackenzee in Michigan says:

Awesome stuff! I use it for flea treatment and prevention. I live in the woods, so we have fleas and ticks all around our house and our 4 legged son is an indoor dog, so he goes in and out as much as we do. I have seen 2 fleas in my house this summer, niether one on my dog. That’s it and I attribute my success to D.E. I use it all around the perimeter of my house, in bedding and carpets, basement, everywhere. I mix it with water and a little dish soap to make it stick and use a hudson sprayer to coat my garden with it. I have NO bugs, no tomato worms, nothing! I can’t say enough wonderful things about it.
    Thanks!

10. Becky Wheeler says:

I dusted a several setting hens with DE when they had mites real bad and it killed them all. I didn’t have any more problems with mites. I also used it in the goat feed to prevent bugs in it and the goats ate it and I didn’t notice any problems with worms in the goats after that. I now only have dogs and a cat, but will use DE for them. Thanks for a great product!

11. J Davis says:

I give my dogs a spoonful of food grade DE in their food every night. One of my dogs usually gets tapeworms every summer from fleabite. Since I started DE, not one infestation and they are both negative for other internal parasites when they have their annual checkup.

For external pests, I use it around the foundation of the house, on the lawn and dog runs, around baseboards, on rugs and carpets, around ant hills in the yard, anywhere there might be crawling bugs. I also lightly dust just laundered pet beds. Since I heard that bed bugs are making a comeback, I dust some between the mattress and cover – just in case.

I bought a garden duster and have been using it on vegetables and ornamentals.

The stuff is amazing.

12. Joanne Chicos says:

I bought this from you a few months ago. Two 5 pound bags. I got this for fleas im my cellar which it was a great help. I started reading up about it and how pets and even humans were taking it. I gave this to my pets, a yorkie and my cats. I also read where peple were taking this as well and tried some myself. I did this for about a week. Then I ran into a kidney problem. I am wondering is this made in the United States? Could there be possibly melamine in this? Is this safe for humans? Thak you in advance for your attention to this matter.

13. Joe Stutzman says:

Joanne we appreciate your comments on how well Diatomaceous Earth has worked for your flea problem. You mentioned that you have a kidney problem and are concerned DE may have something to do with it. I would be interested in knowing how much you take and how often each day. I would like to assure you that DE does not create these types of issues.

GHS

14. Tracy T says:

Hello. Last winter we started getting a lot of “Stink bugs” or “shieldbugs” in our second floor bedroom. It drove me absolutly crazy and I couldnt get rid of them. They coming into homes when it gets cold (found one today). I ordered (and recieved) 15 pounds of this because I heard that it works to get rid of them. My question is..I’m not sure how these things are getting in and where to put it down? They do fly so that confuses me more. We have crawl spaces..perhaps they’re getting in there? or around the windows? I have two infants and I plan on putting it in places that they can’t get to…any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

15. jstutzman says:

Tracy I understand your frustration with these stink bugs. Diatomaceous Earth will repel them from the areas of application. The challenge will be to get the DE on the areas they frequent. The first line of defense will be to make sure your windows are sealed up tight. Then make sure there are no cracks on the outside wall of your home, which includes your crawl space area. Another area to check would be your attic. We would suggest sprinkling the DE outside the home as well, putting it around the base of your home and all widow sills. Good luck, GHS

16. Paul Goedicke says:

I first purchased DE 2 years ago upon moving to Oklahoma and having a bad flea and tick infestation from the previous homeowners. I also had grubworms bad in the back yard. And ants were everywhere. Because of neighbors’ animals, reinfestation was a problem the first year, but now I use it regularly and keep my yard pretty much pest free. One neighbor is complaining of grub and ant problems, and I have told him about DE. I probably use it more frequently than others and a 50lb bag lasts over a year and is much cheaper and safer than pesticides. Our dogs roll in the yard, essentially dusting themselves, and we haven’t seen a tick or flea on them for 2 summers, after constant battles with ticks 3 years ago. It really works well on tomato plants also.

17. Sandy says:

I have a major problem with dog ticks, and was told about Diatomaceous Earth because it safe for dogs. I have a show dog who spends time inside and outdoors, I have been using k9 advanx on her but now that I have bred her I can no longer use this product. Is you product safe to use on pregnant or nursing dogs and their puppies?

18. jstutzman says:

Sandy you can certainly use DE for this purpose. It is totally safe to use on your pets and will only benefit them should they eat any. Please be cautious about how much you put on them at one time, you do not want to create a dusty situation for the puppies.

19. Dylan says:

I have some chickens, and was wondering if it’s ok to put it in their water instead of mixing it with their feed.

20. jstutzman says:

Dylan we would not recommend this application as it will make an absolute mess of your watering system and the chickens will not get the water they need.

21. Dylan says:

Is it ok to drain some soaked feed and mix it with that. Cuz I’ve been doing that for about a week now and one of my stags turned up dead when I got home from school today, it was acting fine this morning, and all the others seem ok too. It might not have been the DE, but I’m confused as to what killed him.

22. jstutzman says:

DE will not kill a chicken. Could you explain in a bit more detail how you have been feeding and watering the chickens?

23. Dylan says:

We have two plastic garbage cans, one with corn, one with oats, both soaking. In the morning I take the oats out and drain them and mix about two tablespoons of DE, since the container holds about five pounds of feed, I give each pen about a handfull, (1-3 chickens in each pen). In the evening I do the same thing with the corn. I give them fresh water every day.

24. jstutzman says:

The amount of Diatomaceous Earth is okay. I am curious about how long you have the feed soaking. Are you aware that wet feed can become moldy; this can in turn kill a chicken? I would suggest you talk with your local country extension agent.

25. Dylan says:

it’s been soaking for about a month

26. jstutzman says:

That sounds like a very long time; however we would suggest you contact your local extension agent with any further questions on your soaking methods.

27. Dylan says:

also, can I use DE as a stop blood powder whenever I’m cutting my rooster’s combs and wattles?

28. jstutzman says:

We have no experience with this usage of Diatomaceous Earth. If you try it, please share the results with us.

29. Kim says:

One of my kittens threw up a live 8″ round worm. I didn’t want to use a chemical wormer so I’ve been mixing a quarter tsp of DE into their wet food am and pm.
    A week later another worm came up, only this one was dead and quite shriveled. Kitty is friskier and no longer bloated!
    Thank you!

30. Pat says:

If I use DE in the garden will it obliterate my earthworms? How long before they would return?

31. jstutzman says:

No it will not affect your earthworms. It works by penetrating the hard bodies of insects with its sharp edges. Soft bodied insects are not bothered by diatomaceous earth.

32. Amy says:

I’ve been reading the posts and understand that it works on grubs but, the last post states it does not affect soft bodied insects such as earthworms. We have lots of grubs in our yard and want to make sure that it will work for them.

33. jstutzman says:

Diatomaceous earth should be used to repel the adult beetles, not their larva. If you want a product to kill the larva, use Milky Spore. Food grade diatomaceous earth should be sprinkled onto all of your plants once the adult beetles invade your yard. The DE will make them leave your yard as they will not be able to eat the foliage without having their bodies cut open.

34. Lydia says:

Not one of these blogs mentions an experience with ingesting DE. I wanted to know what health benefits to expect from ingesting DE? How long before there is a noticable health benefit and how much to use? Does it have to be taken with food?

35. jstutzman says:

Lydia there is a lot of people who ingest food grade diatomaceous earth. However most are doing it for reasons they do not want to discuss. Most people take a teaspoon twice per day. It can be mixed into a drink or with food. It does not have to be taken with food, just seems to go down easier. Most people see results in about two weeks. Please keep in mind we can not tell you how to take this product, only relaying how others may take it.

36. Lisa says:

I’m planning on buying grains in bulk and putting them in airtight storage, but learned that I need to be concerned about eggs in the grains. How can DE help with this? Do the eggs actually hatch if DE is present in the grains? Sorry to get icky, but will I see a mess of dead larvae in my grains because of the DE, or will the DE prevent hatching? (I don’t mind knowing that there are eggs in the grains that I can’t see – but once those critters become visible, that’s a different story!)

37. jstutzman says:

Lisa you will not have a “icky” mess inside your stored grain. Diatomaceous Earth works by cutting the eggs and any larva that may hatch. This will be on such a small scale you will not notice anything. This is used by many folks just like you that do not want bugs getting into their grains. Use DE with confidence!

38. Jerry says:

How much do I need for my yard about 1500 sq. ft. I have a bad problem with Ants, fleas.

39. jstutzman says:

You will need at least one 50# bag. You will also want a garden duster to spread the DE. How long the bag lasts will really depend upon how thick you spread it. A light dusting should be sufficient.

40. Cherie M says:

Hi I stumbled onto your site by searching for Diatomaceous Earth by reading a testimonial on a colon cleansing sight that mentioned it. I have never heard of such a product. To think humans and pets can take this and it be effective to keep pests away from your home also….. sounds too good to be true.

I have a 3 yr old bull mastiff and an 8 month old bull dog, that are at the vet for every checkup and shot and are on monthly heart guard and flea prevention – religiously. They dont miss anything. Im a health nut and wonder why Ive never heard of this product before. Am interested in trying it after I do some more research first. I dont see any directions for human consumption, does it come on the bag? Are there any adverse reactions to other vitamins/supplements/minerals?

Ive been telling everyone I know about parasite ifestations in humans, having done my first cleanse 3 years ago and just completing another one last week. Wish I knew about this sooner.

Thanks

41. jstutzman says:

Cherie we have many of our customers who use this on and within their own bodies; however we cannot make any such claims. This is why there is no info on our site about human consumption. Thanks for visiting!

42. Beverly Korby says:

Help! Earwigs are eating my fennel, basil and other herbs. How do I use DE in the herb garden? Do I dust the plants and the soil? Do I water it in or leave it dry? What is the difference between regular DE and Food Grade? Thanks.

43. Stephanie says:

I was wondering if I can use DE as a flea treatment for my indoor, dwarf-mix rabbits. My dogs have a bad case of fleas. They are indoor/outdoor but mostly indoor. My cats don’t have fleas as bad as the dogs. I have noticed a live flea on my white rabbit. It’s difficult to tell on the black one. Neither my cats nor my rabbits have flea dirt on them, but I fear that it is only a matter of time. I have not been able to find ANY information about using DE on rabbits – only that it’s “safe for all pets.” I am not confident enough with generic information like that. I am very very resistant to the toxic forms of flea treatments that indicate are safe for rabbits. I tried “Sargeant’s Nature’s Guardian” on my dogs and it did absolutely nothing. It’s all natural, but the dogs are still going nuts with their itching. Please help!

44. jstutzman says:

Yes you may certainly use diatomaceous earth for your rabbits. I would recommend dusting their entire bedding area and also dusting them. Just be careful that you do not create a lot of dust while doing the actual dusting. You do not have to remove the DE from the pen or off of the rabbits. I would do this once per week for about 3 weeks. This will kill any newly hatched fleas.

45. jstutzman says:

The differance between regular DE and food grade DE is the amount of crystalline in the product. Food grade diatomaceous earth only has a trace amount, making it totally safe to use or eat for that matter. You will want to use a duster and lightly dust your plants. You may have to do this every few days until the pests are gone.

46. Bonnie says:

I have a dog alergic to spiders and fleas and has severe reactions. Could I use DE for prevention and what method should I treat and how often?

47. jstutzman says:

Diatomaceous earth does work very well for both fleas and spiders. I am not sure if you dog lives outside, it is harder to control the fleas for dogs that have a large area to play. To be totally effective you need to give the entire area a light coating, if it is outside, a bit heavier dusting will be needed. The dog should have it sprinkled onto the coat and then rubbed in. Just be careful you are not making a lot of dust while doing this. Spiders are harder to control as they can move around and build their webs where there is no DE. Diatomaceous earth does kill both fleas and spiders.

48. Karen says:

Does DE have the same benefits when fed as a paste along with feed? Been seeing great results with our horses but it seems some goes to waste and I would like to wet it down some to make sure they are getting the full amount…

49. jstutzman says:

We do have customers that water it down and feel that it has the same effect.

50. cindy says:

i bought bed bug powder with this ingredient and only its food grade does this kill bed bugs?